🔕 🔔

I have to make apple pie filling from scratch, but I have no cornstarch. What else can I used to thicken the filling?

asked by Pootentate about 7 years ago

4ba0134e 0952 43bf 87f7 918bf2302be4  chop

I usually toss the apples with all-purpose flour, spices and sugar before baking it in the pastry shell and the flour has always been sufficient to thicken the juices that are extracted from the fruit during baking.

B6a74962 31fc 4e50 b866 0ea34483cfb8  fb avatar

Tapioca is another alternative. The quantities are usually printed on the box.

67da29df 0253 44dd 98a1 250b49e519a4  hilary sp1

I like to use either arrowroot powder or tapioca powder. Both work great as thickeners. I like to use tapioca powder is pies the best- I think it makes a silky filling without any of the lumps of cornstarch.

2b00435b fe24 44bb afe2 ad3364f28f79  1390710 10151917400148928 1193325941 n 1

Any sort of thickener will do in a pinch. AP Flour, corn starch, potato starch, Arrow root, tapioca powder. Just make sure you know the proportions because too much of any thickener can lead to a gummy mess or worse, a blander flavor.

95faff30 cc53 4c8e 8c8d 9b770dc26f9e  dscf2141

you could use some apple butter in place of some of the sweetener and spices. It is already on the thick side.

A bit of flour goes a long way in lieu of cornstarch. I was out of cornstarch a few weeks ago and subbed whole wheat flour (just a half tablespoon) in an apple cranberry pie. It was delicious and really added some depth to the flavor of the dish.