If I don't have pastry flour, may I use another type or should I go pick some up?

I have a question about the ingredient "whole wheat pastry flour" on the recipe "Butternut Squash & Cider Doughnuts" from artandlemons.

• Posted by: Hunksee
  • October 17, 2011
81bc5bff 0f69 440c 825d 6368266460ab  butternut cider doughnuts 72 dpi
Recipe question for: Butternut Squash & Cider Doughnuts

JessicaBakes
JessicaBakes October 17, 2011

you could mix cake flour and AP flour if you have those on hand...that would create the best result without pastry flour. otherwise, you will definitely have a tougher texture (but the flavor should be mostly the same)

artandlemons
artandlemons October 17, 2011

You should be able to substitute all-purpose flour for the whole wheat pastry flour 1:1. If the dough still feels sticky after you mix the wet and dry ingredients together, add up to 1/4 cup more a-p flour.

artandlemons
artandlemons October 17, 2011

artandlemons
artandlemons October 17, 2011

artandlemons
artandlemons October 17, 2011

artandlemons
artandlemons October 17, 2011

sorry about the multiple post responses. there seems to be a glitch in the site and I can't delete them...