🔕 🔔

making two roast chickens at once. Will it take longer, should I raise oven temperature?

I have been making this recipe forever with one 3-4 lb bird. I season the cavity,stuff with fresh rosemary, one lemon quartered and several cloves of garlic. Rub skin with olive oil and bake at 425 for 10 minutes and then 375 for an hour. (old NYT magazine recipe) I usually do it in a grill-ridged cast iron skillet.

asked by rayva almost 6 years ago

84baef1b 1614 4c3d a895 e859c9d40bd1  chris in oslo

I often roast two chickens at once, and any difference in time is negligible.

4421619e f544 4703 9273 6e95dc123a79  black picture small

Just make sure your chickens have some space between them...The more you crowd them, the longer it might take. Or put them in separate pans if you have room in your oven...then they should cook the same time.

Promise me, promise me, promise me you'll ALWAYS roast 2 chickens at a time. It takes as long to roast 2 as it does 1 (ok, well maybe a little bit longer, but I trust you're getting my drift), and you have all that lovely meat to pull off and freeze, plus twice the stock ingredients! Why would you ever do it differently! Over the past several years I've gone from cooking for four, to cooking for three, and now for one, and that is still my story, and I'm sticking to it.

964889e4 9a72 415d 8483 8b4062e2f34f  img 2419

Hey thanks everyone! Just needed y'all to support my inclination. love this site!

Bb911bcd 2446 4d8f 848f cdc2090e999a  leaf cake

I concur - roasting 2 chickens is the way to go. And do leave some space between the birds!