A question about a recipe: Crispy Cream-Braised Potatoes and Fennel

Eb9a1506 a0e0 489a 8a18 3a25677721b9  100411 food52 0304

I'm interested in making a fancied up version of this for a dinner party, with arranged sliced fennel and potatoes. Would it be best to braise the slices and then try to arrange them in a pan before broiling, sprinkling the cheese/zest topping over? Or is it better to arrange the raw slices in a pan, sprinkle with topping, pour over warm cream and bake like a traditional gratin?

asked by atxdori about 7 years ago

EmilyC

Gosh, I am sorry, I'm just now seeing your question! I'd definitely recommend the former if you want crispy edges. Baking the dish like a traditional gratin would work, too, you'll just get a different result -- creamier, less crispy edges, and a longer overall cook time. Hope you enjoy the dish!