🔕 🔔

A question about a recipe: Russ Parsons' Dry-Brined Turkey (a.k.a. The Judy Bird)

Ec3c1da0 82a5 4554 9acc 36dfd77f86af  2016 1028 judy bird bobbi lin 11189

I have a question about step 7 on the recipe "Russ Parsons' Dry-Brined Turkey (a.k.a. The Judy Bird)" from Genius Recipes. It says:

"Pat it dry one last time and baste with melted butter, if using. Place the turkey breast-side down on a roasting rack in a roasting pan; put it in the oven. After 30 minutes, remove the pan from the oven and carefully turn the turkey over so the breast is facing up (it's easiest to do this by hand, using kitchen towels or oven mitts)."

I bought a foil roasting pan that does not include a roasting rack. Will this work okay? Do I need to adjust cooking time at all?

asked by BobLoblaw almost 6 years ago

7971e363 c700 4683 b67b 640b9cf9144e  federicocooking

i also bought a foil roasting pan and found a rack that I usually use to cool pies that fits exactly inside of it. Try to find something that will raise the turkey off the bottom of the foil pan so that it doesn't cook in its own juices.

82bc15be d3cf 410a 9b82 665e7b26bd26  1081
Stephanie Bourgeois

Stephanie is the Head Recipe Tester of Food52.

Federico's suggestion should work. If you don't have a roasting rack you could always improvise and raise the turkey up on a bed of vegetables. Plus, then you will have delicious roasted veggies.