Author Notes: This recipe came about after I had tried sticksnscones gravy (here:https://food52.com/recipes...), then Minimalist Baker's Lentil Mushroom Stew (here: https://minimalistbaker.com/lentil-mushroom-stew-over-mashed-potatoes/ ). The grocery store I live next to doesn't carry dried mushrooms, and I don't plan weeknight meals ahead of time. That also means that I have to use the entire can of tomato paste in 1 night, or I'll probably waste it.
I didn't have time to simmer this with thickener, or make mashed potatoes, and it's really important to me that my stew broth be thick and hearty instead of brothy, so I started by making a gravy base, and that's where sticksnstones gravy came in. —Audrey Waller
Prep time: 15 min
Cook time: 45 min
ounces baby bella mushrooms, sliced
ounces can tomato paste
cup almond milk (or any other non-dairy milk)
tablespoons soy sauce
cup dry sherry
cups vegetable broth
cup dry green lentils
salt and pepper to taste
- Bring quart of vegetable broth to a boil then add the lentils. Boil for about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat butter in a large pot, once hot, sautee mushrooms and shallots until the shallots are softened. Add thyme, and cook another 2-3 minutes.
- Sprinkle flour in 1 tablespoon at a time and stir to combine, leave no lumps. Then add tomato paste and soy sauce, and nutritional yeast. Stir to combine.
- Add almond milk, and simmer for 5 minutes. Add sherry, bring to a boil, then add the lentils and their broth, return to a boil, then serve.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Umami-Centric Recipe