If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Is your green juice no longer green to you? Your carrot-orange-ginger losing its zip? While vodka might be the first option that comes to mind for improving the matter (just me?), there's another, work-appropriate way to bring life back into your juice routine.
At New York's Maialino, they have a carrot-apple-ginger juice on the menu, but after one sip, you know something else is going on. They sneak thyme in there, which gives the juice a more interesting, rounded flavor (and probably some health benefits, too). Just like mixing savory, hearty root vegetables and sprightly, sweeter citrus makes a juice more balanced, blending in herbs adds another layer of flavor to the mix.
Whether you choose cilantro for tropical sweetness or rosemary for savory darkness, there are a lot of ways to play—take a look at some flavor combos below. And in terms of how much herb you'll need to juice, more is generally more—a bunch (stems and all) will produce a few tablespoons of juice. So the solution to that droopy bunch of basil in your fridge is to drink it up (bet you never said that before).
- carrot + apple + ginger + thyme
- blackberry + celery + thyme
- beet + lemon + strawberry + rosemary
- carrot + pear + rosemary
- kale + ginger + spinach + cucumber + pineapple + cilantro
- green bell pepper + jalapeno + cilantro (make a bunch and warm it into a soup)
- spinach + dandelion greens + pomegranate + lime + basil
- grapefruit + basil
- pear + lime + tarragon
- celery + cucumber + tarragon
- carrot + orange + turmeric + dill
- wheatgrass + green apple + dill
- cabbage + arugula + apple + parsley
- beet + carrot + orange + parsley
- fennel + cucumber + celery + mint
- carrot + papaya + mint
What are your favorite juice combos? Tell us in the comments below!
This article originally appeared on February 5, 2016. We're re-running it now because we're in need of some post-holiday green juice (just us?).