A question about a recipe: Apple, Pear and Cranberry Crisp

73fef867 0073 400e b175 b9bf42fedbd1  5163021825 e281398fcd b

Can I use dried cranberries in place of fresh? And, if so, should I cut down on the amount?

asked by Brette Warshaw almost 7 years ago

Chefbaltz

absolutely! you will want to rehydrate them in some boiling water and drain them thoroughly. this will plump them back up but also take out some of the sugar. i'm not sure what amount of sugar your recipe calls for but dried cranberries are highly sweetened and you may need to cut back the amount by a couple of tablespoons to 1/4 cup, even though the boiling water will leech out some of their added sugar. try it with less sugar and add more if needed.

theyearinfood

Hi! Yes, absolutely use dried cranberries. I know that other people have used dried cranberries in place of fresh when fresh aren't available. I don't think that boiling them beforehand is necessary. Yeah, you should probably cut down on the amount, and use a little less sugar, too. Good luck! Hope it's a success.