A question about a recipe: Apple, Pear and Cranberry Crisp

73fef867 0073 400e b175 b9bf42fedbd1  5163021825 e281398fcd b

Can I use dried cranberries in place of fresh? And, if so, should I cut down on the amount?

asked by Brette Warshaw about 5 years ago

absolutely! you will want to rehydrate them in some boiling water and drain them thoroughly. this will plump them back up but also take out some of the sugar. i'm not sure what amount of sugar your recipe calls for but dried cranberries are highly sweetened and you may need to cut back the amount by a couple of tablespoons to 1/4 cup, even though the boiling water will leech out some of their added sugar. try it with less sugar and add more if needed.

1b057021 8fc4 4c58 a9f6 1f4c22385ce6  bio

Hi! Yes, absolutely use dried cranberries. I know that other people have used dried cranberries in place of fresh when fresh aren't available. I don't think that boiling them beforehand is necessary. Yeah, you should probably cut down on the amount, and use a little less sugar, too. Good luck! Hope it's a success.

Join Our Email List!

Inbox Inspiration:

Our newsletter is brimming with recipes and features that have us talking—dive in!

A Joyful Home:

Sign up to get $10 off a first purchase of $50 or more in our shop full of tools & treasures.

Come On In:

Join our humming community and get dibs on events, peeks at new cookbooks, and a surprise or two.