🔕 🔔

How far in advance should I "dry" fresh challah bread to use for stuffing?

I'm making the stuffing on Saturday, it's now Wednesday. I have the challah bread and know that it needs to be somewhat stale for the stuffing, but wasn't sure how far in advance I should slice and start this process.

asked by Katie1081 over 5 years ago

E4b7660b f3f6 4873 bd6d 2130a16403fb  img 1088

I think overnight would be fine. On the theory that drier is better, you could probably do it whenever you have time between now and Friday. Happy holidays!

1f596ae9 f36c 4022 8b52 0c8583fd70b0  meg b f52

And if it isn't dry enough, you can always pop it in a low oven (250 - 300) until the moisture is gone.

549d9fb3 53ef 4170 b68e 8bae2e055be7  dsc 0048b

For thanksgiving, I cut mine up on tuesday and made the stuffing on Thursday. It also depends how moist and fresh the challah is at the time you cut it.