🔕 🔔

Would all these root vegetables (types) hold in water if I wanted to prep ahead of time? How long can they hold in water?

Df43fbfc bebf 4dcc b43b f34c3d2af49a  ribbonsplated1

I have a question about step 1 on the recipe "Jerry Traunfeld's Root Ribbons with Sage" from Genius Recipes. It says:

"Wash and peel the roots and discard the peelings. Continue to peel the vegetables from their tops to the root tips to produce ribbons, rotating the roots on their axis a quarter turn after each strip is peeled, until you're left with cores that are too small to work with. (You can snack on these or save them for stock.) Alternately, you may use a mandoline."

asked by muggins over 4 years ago
39bc764f 7859 45d4 9e95 fc5774280613  headshot 2.0 crop

Yes, I believe they would hold very well in water in the fridge. The only one that discolors quickly is burdock, and black salsify will get a subtle brownish tint over time (not sure about white salsify), but a splash of lemon juice should help those, if you're using them. I think you'd be fine doing the prep the night or even 2 nights before.