🔕 🔔

Has anyone used a roasting bag for turkey? What's your opinion?

asked by gourmetmamma almost 7 years ago

B6a74962 31fc 4e50 b866 0ea34483cfb8  fb avatar

I love the results of the cooking bag for Turkeys if I am going to precarve the turkey. I love how succulent the meat is, and the clean up is MUCH easier.

If you want a georgous bird that you will be setting on a platter for table carving, I would not use a roasting bag.

The bag will give you a nice moist turkey because it basically steam cooks it in the bag. The time I used the bag (as directed on the package), it even browned pretty well. However, the skin is not crisp and you don't get the brown bits that stick to the bottom of the pan that makes gravy so flavorful. That part of the technique was not to my liking.

Yes - turkey is very moist. Like Soozll says though, the skin does not crisp. Also, I find that the turkey cooks MUCH faster - make sure you stick a thermometer in so you don't overcook!

In my opinion it's a recipe for disaster. Over one of our family Thanksgiving fiascos my brother tried this method (having never done it before) and what came out of the bag was an irreparable turkey stew. I got called into the kitchen, looked at and said, "you can't fix that". Meanwhile my father finished off the scotch. Why even cook a turkey if you are not going to get crisp skin?

Some do swear by it, but I don't care for it.

Fc23ea4b 9ae1 494e 8a6f ba43f6488062  me by barbara tyroler

I agree with the first 3 commenters. @peirino: disaster? I think I'd look at operator error there. Could be a good sitcom episode, though. @nutcakes, to each his/her own. If my husband isn't smoking the turkey, I'm using a bag. It is delicious, juicy, and collects the dripping for you.

2b00435b fe24 44bb afe2 ad3364f28f79  1390710 10151917400148928 1193325941 n 1

If you want to do a tableside presentation the bag probably should not be used. If you want juicy parts then go for it. If you want crisp skin it will not render the results. To get the best of both world just brine the turkey!