A question about a recipe: KFC: Korean Fried Chicken Wings

I have a question about the ingredient "Wondra Flour" on the recipe "KFC: Korean Fried Chicken Wings" from ravenouscouple. Is Wondra absolutely necessary in this recipe? Since it's only for dusting prior to frying, and not actually dissolving into liquid.. would cake flour be an alright substitute?

071ad06f 867a 498e 8210 15101c9480db  2016 0412 korean fried chicken wings bobbi lin 21581
Recipe question for: Korean Fried Chicken Wings (KFC)

nutcakes
nutcakes July 13, 2012

Well I doubt it is ABSOLUTELY necessary. But I have made some oven fried wings that were dusted with Wondura and they were especially crispy. You could use rice flour if you have it. Otherwise I'd stick to AP flour.

Sam1148 July 13, 2012

I'd pick some up. It's available at most supermarkets....at least the US. It's in a blue paper shaker top tube.
It's very handy to keep around for adjusting a sauce or gravy...or dusting something for pan frying like a fish or chicken cutlet. I forget the name of the product that's used in Canada and England---Anyone?

Failing that...the rice flour suggestion is a good one. Of if you go AP, add a bit of cornstarch as it crisps up very nice on wings.