🔕 🔔

can you store dried beans and grains in the freezer?

I have a horrible problem with pantry moths.... They have even hit my secret chocolate stash!

asked by barbwyre19 over 5 years ago

84e1393f 0d16 4291 80cf 2c42b5acf188  noz photo

I'm so sorry about your moth problem! They're the worst.

Yes, you can absolutely store them in the freezer without damage, just make sure they're well-wrapped to prevent them from absorbing smells. I store all of my grains and beans in the fridge as a matter of course, just because there's more free space there than in the freezer.

5590ce29 aa2e 417c 94ba 2fbc61134171  174060 100000008404888 3554258 n

Nozlee, is it better to store grains and beans in the freezer than in the cabinet/pantry? I have large bags of rice and wonder if they get old?

I store mine in the fridge/freezer because you only have to lose a 5 lb bag of grains to moths/weevils once to be cautious forever! If you buy grains in small-ish portions and keep them well-wrapped, you shouldn't have problems in your pantry. For a large bag of rice, though I would play better safe than sorry and keep any open bags in the fridge.

Ea2fede5 db69 4f9c b6a5 c70c27497ae9  dsc 0002 2

Grains at least, are better stored in the freezer/'fridge than in the pantry; like nuts, they can go 'off'. I am throughly jealous of anyone who has space in either place. I only do it for the most expensive and/or least used.

00c46d23 3575 4258 98ff 95bf01356ea4  stringio

I read/heard somewhere that after purchasing grains, pasta,etc. items that are susceptible to weevils that if placed in freezer for 48 hours they should be okay in pantry. In other words that
freezing kills any live bugs or larvae. anyone. else

Dried beans should last forever in the freezer. Whole grains can get soggy in the fridge or Even rancid.