Our little rice cooker in a *new* red—but not for long! Shop now » details
Certain restrictions and exclusions apply. While supplies last.
🔕 🔔

Vegan substitute for ghee or butter?

My husband recently announced he's becoming a vegan, throwing me into a bit of a panic about some of my favorite recipes. Any suggestions for a vegan substitute for ghee or clarified butter? I love Indian cooking and feel that the flavor given by ghee is going to be hard to replace....

asked by Salt Tooth over 4 years ago

Oil, maybe? Ok, the nutty-ness of the ghee won't be there, but the oil should function the same way. Maybe a good olive.

Thanks HalfPint!

Before using ghee on a regular basis, I always used plain canola oil whenever cooking Indian food. I agree with HalfPint that it won't provide quite the same flavor. If you're preparing vegan food, however, you'll probably be buying a lot of nuts, so consider using them (especially cashews that you buy raw and then brown over gentle heat in oil, and almonds that you dry roast and then grind up) to enhance your sauces. ;o)

Thanks Antonia!

15cba12a 61fc 4884 a615 119fe035e6c3  fb avatar

yeah....first you have to know.....u too came from animal body....so why do u need vegan food when u yourself came from flesh and blood....please transformation comes from inside....since we have animal instinct we need to transform our self to higher being or higher consciousness...that is why we have meditation...yoga these are tools to explore within ur self who are you?....than you will know that you are just an animal like others....knowing that resentment comes and so do ego...therefore ego is just an illusion u make inside your mind to show others that you r not an animal and so. but the real transformation comes when you will see that you are an animal and you accept that instead of resenting it...so what will happen..u will have an urge to surrender your animal instinct and as your meditation improves so is your ability to surrender. this is real transformation......it doesn't matter whether u r vegan or whatever outside....the change has to come from inside....so ghee is an example of that transformation....yeah it has came from a cow.....but it has transformed into the higher state...i would say that ghee won't carry any emotions neither ego or any animal instinct. it has transformed from animal to absolute purity....
let there be peace.........

0328c57d d48e 4a18 82b0 824105e54ba5  fb avatar
added about 2 months ago

Avishkar Giri,

Well met.
Maybe you find it neccessary to explain the non duality between complete divine conciousness and every single bug on this planet. However, most people are not vegan to divide animal kingdom from rest, we simply choose vegan because we live in a society where it is impossible to trace the sattvic path of animal products. You must be insane if you think you can buy butter from tortured cows, promote the industry with your money to then go home, clarify it and claim you have no longer supported harm. Take responsibility over what you support, starve yourself from milk products if you can not guarantee a chain of trustworthy sattvic people who confirm the quality of what you eat.

Namaste,
No more confusion, clear simple thinking towards empathy.

What? Nameste.

Ad

If you come from a higher self or all that language you used. Then you must have no ego, or feeling of superior being, you must show compassion to every creature of the universe and once you do that you shall be transformed into a higher level of energy.

If we came from flesh and blood, do we start eating our relatives or family? Likewise I wish you saw how animals are abused for the ghee we eat and that milk we drink.

Majority of Animal come from flesh and blood. They don't start drinking cows milk. If so we are not different too. Opinions of people are with them, Try to respect it.

Have you found good new vegan recipes and tastes? In first year or two when I was vegetarian, I found I was eating my previouss diet with meat products removed. Only after that did I begin to makevveg food from scratch in concept as well as ingredients. The tastes will not be the same as the old food, but different. And hopefully to your liking.

Could Coconut Oil a good option? it has almost same level of saturated fat as Ghee may be. It solidifies as ghee as well. Not sure about the taste tho'. Trader Joe's has organic coconut oil which seems good buy.

Coconut oil or mustard oil.

You will find a lot here http://bigelitehealth.com...

added about 1 month ago

Hi, Looks like you asked this question 4 years ago, but it still came up on top in google when I searched for vegan ghee. So perhaps, someone will find this useful... I'm a south indian recently turned vegan. For many of our recipes that needs ghee - like pongal, I use coconut oil and see no difference. There are still some south indian sweets recipes that need ghee and I was searching for ideas for substitute when I came to this link. But coconut yogurt for yogurt based dishes and coconut oil are great substitutes.

Cd4936f2 2555 42a6 bab6 b78ae625f4ec  img 3538
added about 1 month ago

I think it depends on the recipe. I find coconut oil is a good substitute, sometimes I use olive oil or grape seed oil. My preferred butter sub is a vegan butter called Miyoko's it looks closer to ghee but I'll warn it's expensive. It is made from coconut and other vegetable oils. But it cooks more like butter than the oils. Do not put it in your butter crock you keep on your counter, it's best in the fridge.

added about 1 month ago

Coconut oil! I've quit all other types, used to use olive oil but have found out that the US is a dumping ground for all kinds of fake oils so I am only using Coconut oil unless I can be positively sure it's grass feed beef. I have gone many to a Ketogenic diet and feel so much better.