salmon mousse

What ever happened to Salmon Mousse? When I was growing-up my father made the most elaborate presentation: he would use a copper salmon mold, display it on a very large silver tray, and decorated the mousse using thinly sliced cucumbers for the scales, olives for the eyes, & pimento for the mouth. I don't believe I've seen the dish on a brunch or dairy buffet in 30 years or so. Kitchen Kim

asked by KitchenKim about 6 years ago

Can salmon..and the general dislike of molded seafood on buffets.

And Money Python's "The Meaning of Life".

My mom had a copper salmon mold too. When salmon mousse went out of fashion, she and my dad woluld freeze water in it and have ice-salmon leaping all over their back deck. It was pretty silly fun, and I wish I'd kept all her copper molds.

But what's your urgent question? Are going to make one? Why not. Gelatin projects seem to be making a come back.

a Whole Foods Market Customer

@Sam1148: Monty Python was the first thing I thought of, too. :)

KitchenKim

I'm thinking of recreating the dish for my children to see and try..I have some Knox in my pantry and cucumbers in my garden, but now I will need to come up with the copper mold...I imagine Amazon would carry such an item! thanks for your feedback and for the Monty Python reference :)

One of the things that made Salmon Patties and mousse so horrible was the canned salmon of the 70's. Full of eye balls, spines and bones.

CostCo has a pretty good canned salmon with nice big chunks and thankfully free of spines and eyeballs.

Sounds like a cool project to re-image the dish with better ingredients.

ATL
ATL

I actually make salmon mousse using fresh wild salmon that I either bake or poach. The recipe I use is in one of the two main Silver Palate cookbooks (not available online). It is extremely popular with drinks. I use a fish-shaped mold, the old-fashioned type uses for hello "salads." and I surround it with freshly slices cucumbers, sliced not too thinly so that a slice of cucumber will withstand a generous smear of mousse. Also serve very thinly sliced small cocktail bread or a cracker of choice. Always popular and the fresh salmon makes a huge difference, both for flavor and also avoiding the ick factor caused by canned salmon.

ATL
ATL

Jello salads, not hello salads in previous post. Drat auto-correct!

KitchenKim

@sam1148...you mean to tell me, that I was eating eyeballs???? I used to like the odd bits in those cans, as a kid...yuk

@ATL...I love the idea of using wild salmon for the recipe...thanks for the suggestion!

Back in my catering days, I reinvented the old Salmon Mousse recipe using fresh salmon. Made it a year or so ago for a house party. Everyone loved it and said "Whatever happened to salmon mousse!"

Maybe time has come to teach the old dog some new tricks?

cookbookchick

@ATL - I kind of liked "hello salads"! ;-)

lloreen

I made Merrill's smoked salmon mousse for Thanksgiving day lunch and it was a big hit. I am still partial to the salmon mousse from the Silver Palate cookbook - the key is using good quality salmon, I agree.
Besides, everything old becomes new and exciting again when you don't see it for many years.

Louisa

So funny--my mom and dad just had everyone over last week for salmon mousse (from the copper mold with the sliced pimento green olive for the eye) with lots of greens and a dill sauce, pickles from the farmers' market and yeast biscuits and then forgotten cookies for dessert. It was delicious.

KitchenKim

@louisa and loreen, thanks for sharing your recent mousse experiences:) Everyone has inspired me to whip one up!... But louisa, what are " forgotten" cookies?

Louisa

Forgotten Cookies are meringue cookies. Here is my mother's recipe: Ingredients: 2 egg whites, 2/3 C sugar, 1 t vanilla, pinch salt, 1 C broken pecans, 1 C chocolate chips.Preheat oven to 350. Beat whites till foamy, add sugar and beat to peaks (don't over-beat). Add salt, vanilla, nuts and chips. Drop mixture on parchment-covered baking sheet. Put in 350 oven. Turn off heat. Leave in oven overnight. A nice, light sweet to follow a mousse.