Where to source split, dry Fava Beans or Broad Beans

Please can anyone tell me where i can buy online or in Southern California the kind of split dried Favas that are so common in Italy. SPLIT is the key word. Puree di Fava is one of my favorite Pulgiese dishes but I have been unsuccessful in sourcing the main ingredient.

• Posted by: fhp
  • October 16, 2012

Kenzi Wilbur
Kenzi Wilbur October 16, 2012

Try this store -- you can order online, and it looks like they carry what you're looking for:

http://www.kalustyans.com

Maedl October 16, 2012

Whole Foods carries them in DC and Maryland. They are in the bulk food bins. I use them frequently!

fhp
fhp October 17, 2012

Thank You Maedi,
Here in Santa Barbara Whole Foods they don't supply the split Favas but I shall try the Whole Foods in Venice when I am there on Friday.

ChefJune October 16, 2012

There's a feature on Rancho Gordo Beans on this web site. The beans Steve Sando grows are exemplary. I would order from him.

vvvanessa
vvvanessa October 16, 2012

Have you tried any Middle Eastern or Ethiopian markets in your area? I'm sorry I don't have familiarity with a specific store, but I often see that type of bean, usually in a bulk bin.