A question about a recipe: Fudgy Chocolate Tart

868fb23c 6d25 4b5a b0eb 7f5b51ae28e0  chocolate tart square

I have a question about the recipe "Fudgy Chocolate Tart" from Deliciously Organic. What is a good substitute for maple syrup in this fudgy chocolate tart?

asked by minibakersupreme almost 6 years ago

em-i-lis
em-i-lis

Emily is a trusted source on General Cooking.

I think you could sub agave syrup. It has less depth of flavor than maple but a similar viscosity.

I think unsulphured molasses would be a good substitute for maple syrup. It has a similar depth of flavor and viscosity. What I wouldn't use is corn syrup.

If you can find it, Lyle's Golden Syrup. It's a British favorite.

smslaw

There's not really a substitute for maple syrup. Molasses is a completely different flavor. I'd either do another dessert or get some of the real stuff.

minibakersupreme

Thanks everyone! Since the maple flavor wasn't really the main attraction of the dessert, I subbed agave to keep it vegan and added a little extra vegan sugar to bring up the sweetness a bit. Half Pint, I love Golden Syrup (must be the British in me) but we didn't have access to it at the restaurant where I work.