🔕 🔔

fennel life

I bought fennel last weekend and I haven't cooked it yet. Is it still good?

asked by stephanieRD about 5 years ago

8425a5f0 773c 4ccd b24e 9e75b44477a8  monita photo

You can tell from the color: has it started to turn brown. You can remove the outer leaves and the inside ones may still be fine. Also you can tell by the firmness: if it seems flexible it probably won't taste as good. You aren't in any danger from eating. It's just a question of optimal taste

3639eee1 5e0d 4861 b1ed 149bd0559f64  gator cake

If it was stored well, I'd say it's fine. Just look for obvious signs of spoilage -- mold and mushiness come to mind -- before you use it.

5f8d7fee 22ef 49ba a6b4 360299864c3e  n3ru8figt0zk0

Unfortunately what you are most likely to lose will not be the bulb but those fluffy, fern like tops (which hopefully the grocer didn't hack off). There is so much flavor in the green stuff that it's quite sad to lose it.