A question about a recipe: Butternut Squash, Brussels Sprout, and Bread Stuffing with Apples

46c95f81 8d68 40a0 b855 37ed5bd3b8d4  ezblsg2fznmpiy 78wazafyeucdxdhynbmu8b0rjerk

I have a question about the recipe "Butternut Squash, Brussels Sprout, and Bread Stuffing with Apples" from Gena Hamshaw. How much of this could be made ahead of time, and how would you do it? (I'm concerned about the Brussels sprouts not holding up well.) ;o)

asked almost 5 years ago

Elana Carlson

Great question. You can go one of two routes in order to make this stuffing ahead.
1) Fully prepare and bake until vegetables just shy of doneness. One the day of, finish baking off.
2) Roast the vegetables separately the day before. Combine with the remainder of ingredients on the day of and bake for 20 minutes.

Thanks, Elana. Did the test kitchen bake the stuffing on a baking sheet (as opposed to in a casserole) and then just lift it in chunks into the casserole for serving? I can see how you'd get a lot of crust that way, but I'm concerned that might be just a bit too unconventional, and that the stuffing might be too dry, if cooked that way. Thank you. ;o)

Elana Carlson

If you bake it for 20 minutes on a baking sheet, and watch closely, it shouldn't dry it out too much!