A question about a recipe: Torrone Sardo (Sardinian Nougat)

I have a question about the recipe "Torrone Sardo (Sardinian Nougat)" from Emiko. Why won't my egg whites thicken? I have tried this recipe twice and both times, the egg white & honey mixture cooked for 1.25+ hours. It never really thickened to that pale white color and stayed extremely gooey.

15e23675 44ea 4ae1 80be cb0741acd112  ehanhan4
Torrone Sardo (Sardinian Nougat)
Recipe question for: Torrone Sardo (Sardinian Nougat)

fearlessem December 18, 2013
For what its worth, this recipe seems quite different from other recipes for torrone that I have used successfully. All of the other soft torrone recipes I've seen call for heating sugar and honey to a certain temperature, then whisking this into the egg whites (which were first whipped to firm peaks), and whisking those together until the mixture cools. I find the idea of cooking the egg whites and honey quite strange, and again -- not like any other torrone recipe I've ever seen.

Maedl December 17, 2013
I am not a candy maker, so take this for what it’s worth: did you get some of the yolk in the egg whites? In baking, this will prevent egg whites from making proper peaks.

Lindsay-Jean H. December 17, 2013
I'm sorry I don't have an answer to this, but you might want to try sending the recipe author a direct message on their profile page!