A question about a recipe: Torrone Sardo (Sardinian Nougat)

50820f15 2148 4f4f 9355 e24f192dda71  torrone img 6910 food52

I have a question about the recipe "Torrone Sardo (Sardinian Nougat)" from Emiko. Why won't my egg whites thicken? I have tried this recipe twice and both times, the egg white & honey mixture cooked for 1.25+ hours. It never really thickened to that pale white color and stayed extremely gooey.

asked by nomnivorous about 5 years ago

former Community Editor

I'm sorry I don't have an answer to this, but you might want to try sending the recipe author a direct message on their profile page!

I am not a candy maker, so take this for what it’s worth: did you get some of the yolk in the egg whites? In baking, this will prevent egg whites from making proper peaks.

fearlessem

For what its worth, this recipe seems quite different from other recipes for torrone that I have used successfully. All of the other soft torrone recipes I've seen call for heating sugar and honey to a certain temperature, then whisking this into the egg whites (which were first whipped to firm peaks), and whisking those together until the mixture cools. I find the idea of cooking the egg whites and honey quite strange, and again -- not like any other torrone recipe I've ever seen.