🔕 🔔

Pimento Cheese Balls melting in fryer?

I made pimento cheese balls and always have trouble with them melting in the fryer ending up with just breading with no filling. The recipe called for all cream cheese, and i breaded it in flour then egg then fine ground panko. I froze them overnight and fried them right from the freezer. No luck- so then I tried double breading them to make it have a thicker coating. It helped, but didn't fix my problem.
Will making the pimento cheese all mayo instead of cream cheese help? I am not sure what to do? I don't want a batter/fritter like texture on the outside if i can avoid it. Would battering it and then coating it in panko help while keeping the same texture?
Any suggestions are appreciated!

asked by FDBaker almost 4 years ago

84e04bee 8fc8 4bdc 8199 701c1af83294  image

There are a lot of variables to look at at here (ie ball size, temperature of the cheese mixture, temp of the oil, batter type, etc.)! Maybe take a look at recipes for fried ice cream, or other similarly-prepared foods, and see if you can pick up any tips?

I would follow the directions for deep fried butter, courtesy of Paula Deen, http://www.foodnetwork...

I notice that she makes the butter/cream cheese balls and freezes them uncoated. Then coats them with breading/egg/flour right before she fries them. And she fries them for only 10-15 seconds

82286725 5fc3 4cfb aabf e36826ab74f3  jessica a

You could try baking them first and then flash frying them (30-60 seconds) to achieve that crispy outer texture.