🔕 🔔

Help with making baked mozzarella sticks a little crispier?

I tried some homemade healthy(er) mozzarella sticks today. Baked instead of fried. Basically you halve and freeze the string cheese, coat in flour, egg, and then bread crumbs, then drizzle olive oil on and bake. They tasted very delicious although the coating was so thin and not very crispy... the thinness of the coating is what bothered me the most. I know it'd be best to fry but my hubby doesn't like the smell of frying so I try to avoid that, also doesn't hurt to save a few calories.
Is there a way to get more thickness (and if possible, crispiness) on the mozzarella sticks while just sticking to baking? I was thinking maybe mixing the eggs and flour into a batter instead of dipping the sticks into that separately, and then coating the batter dipped cheese into the bread crumbs, but not sure if that would yield any different results than my original method.
Any tips appreciated.
Thanks!

asked by Kelly Catrelli 3 months ago
421b6fd7 726a 4d5a b30e c5e0fc1b5dfc  fb avatar

Try rice flour and panko bread crumbs

When we fry mozz sticks, we double bread it with both panko and regular breadcrumbs. I haven't tried it baked, but I'm sure it will help with your crispiness.
Coat with flour or cornstarch, egg, breadcrumbs, egg, panko.
Now I want mozz sticks

731da808 0ee6 4688 813c 05a2a7f1ca9b  16463817 10154453650334385 2720521257626860247 o

PieceofLayerCake is a trusted source on baking.

Try also adding a pinch of baking soda to whatever "flour" you're using...it helps with color and texture.