🔕 🔔

I am trying to master making Gravlax so comes out consistently perfect. Does anyone have a fool proof method?

Last week's batch came out spot on perfect in 48 hrs using 3/4 cup sugar 1 cup kosher salt one pound of cheap Pacific US farm raised Salmon that was marbled with fat. This week I followed the identical procedure using wild caught Canadian salmon that was pricey in comparison and it came out too dry. This has been going on for over a year now. Sometimes it's perfect other times not so good. Is there a specific type of salmon that I should be buying that works better than others?

asked by Golden Fork over 3 years ago

609271d6 306e 4b3e 8479 9d404fb84e73  moi 1

QueenSashy is a trusted home cook.

Wild salmon tends to vary a lot in types and fat content -- and even though you are using the same procedure different types will turn out differently. I like to use king salmon when making gravlax -- it's expensive I know -- but it is so nice and rich, and it is difficult to beat it. The other types (coho, sockeye, etc.) have lower fat content and will turn out a bit more dry, so you will have to adjust for it. I occasionally had reasonably good results with coho by shortening the curing time, but these were just experiments and I am not confident enough to put it in a recipe...

Fe989409 11ab 47fe 93aa 450c750615cc  dsc 0133

I use wild Scottish salmon from our local fish market. The fat content is very good especially in the thick part of the filet. I have never used farm raised for Gravlax so not sure how it would compare. Finecooking.com has a very simple yet foolproof method for making it. If you just search their site or even google fine cooking gravlax you will come up with it. I made a whole side about 6 lbs for my cousins after wedding brunch there was not a morsel left!