2 (!) new cookbooks from Food52—comin' atchya. Shop the presale »
🔕 🔔

apple galette

i have a home made frozen sliced apple pie filling that i would like to turn into a galette. should i roll the galette dough and add the frozen apples or thaw them out partially or completely. what would you advise
i intend to do this for sunday jan 25 dinner dessert!

asked by alienor about 2 years ago
8425a5f0 773c 4ccd b24e 9e75b44477a8  monita photo

I would thaw the sliced apple pie filling completely before using it in your galette. A lot of moisture will be released if used directly without thawing and that could affect the outcome of the galette.

I agree about thawing the apple filling first - I would thaw in a colander so water drains out. I wouldn't squeeze it dry as you don't want to lose too much flavorful juice. I'd use it mostly thawed with a good sprinkling of ground almonds on the bottom to keep the crust from getting too soggy.

Join Our Email List!

Inbox Inspiration:

Our newsletter is brimming with recipes and features that have us talking—dive in!

A Joyful Home:

Sign up to get $10 off a first purchase of $50 or more in our shop full of tools & treasures.

Come On In:

Join our humming community and get dibs on events, peeks at new cookbooks, and a surprise or two.