A question about a recipe: Mama Stamberg's Cranberry Relish

D7538171 6826 4640 91b1 cea7787d8c6b  2015 1027 mama stamburgs cranberry relish bobbi lin 3126

I have a question about the recipe "Mama Stamberg's Cranberry Relish" from Food52. What kind of onion (red? shallot?) is best to use?

asked by Dana M. almost 3 years ago

Since the recipe author doesn't specify, you should be able to get good results with commonly available onions: yellow, white or red.

While I'm sure a shallot could be used as a replacement ingredient, there's really no reason to veer from the recipe unless you've made it before and wish for the more delicate flavor of the shallot.

I rarely have more than one color of onion at home and it's usually the red type since I like the color which I can't use if I'm making a very light-colored preparation (which I seldom do anyhow).

So just use what you have.

Dana M.

Thank you!

Had to look up that recipe- a bit much for my tastes, but you're putting a whole raw onion in there; unless you're a real onionomaniac you probably want as mild as you can find. Shallots might not be a bad way to go- the shallots usually available are actually a hybrid between a shallot and a mild onion, I think the italian torpedo onion- 5-6 oz. should be about right.

Bevi

I put a larger sized pearl onion in. I would estimate one to be the size of a walnut.