What's the most environmentally-friendly type of salmon you can buy?

Kristen Miglore September 15, 2010

Wild-caught Alaskan salmon is certified sustainable by the Marine Stewardship Council & recommended as a "Best Choice" by Seafood Watch: http://bit.ly/37G84

foodfighter
foodfighter September 15, 2010

While Wild-Caught Alaskan Salmon is a best choice, less salmon altogether is best.

thirschfeld
thirschfeld September 15, 2010

I personally drive up to Lake Michigan and take my fishing pole. I catch one or two which is my limit and bring them home. If everyone had to do this I don't think you would have to ask this question. Never the less, Maine canceled it season last year and I don't know what they are doing this year. So I think you and Merrill need to go on adventure to New Foundland and fish for salmon, it is a rush you won't soon forget. Wouldn't that be fun? LOL. And if that is out of the question than the above may be your best bet.

Abra Bennett
Abra Bennett September 15, 2010

I wrote an article about this that was published in Edible Seattle this month! Aqua Seed, a local salmon farm, has been given the Super Green Award by the Monterey Bay Aquarium. Their salmon, Pacific Coho, are raised inland, entirely in freshwater tanks, and sold under the SweetSpring brand. You can't get it all over the country yet but I predict that this will be the salmon technology of the future, because it takes the pressure off the wild salmon population while offering a perfectly clean food product with no adverse environmental consequences..

Amanda Hesser September 15, 2010

Terrific -- thank you for all of your excellent answers!

AntoniaJames September 15, 2010

The answer to this question changes from month to month and season to season and, more importantly, depends on where you live, so I recommend that you bookmark the Monterey Bay Aquarium site, and then check it periodically for updated information.

I really like their downloadable local buying guides, which help us evaluate not only salmon, but other species, too:

http://www.montereybayaquarium.org/cr/cr_seafoodwatch/download.aspx

I was also pleased to see on the Monterey Bay Aquarium site this: "Whole Foods Market, in partnership with the Monterey Bay Aquarium and Blue Ocean Institute, has launched a sustainability-rating program for wild-caught seafood sold in all of its 298 stores."

pierino September 15, 2010

Amanda, you already know the answer to this. I'm betting this is kind of a "seed" question. Virtually all farm raised salmon aka Danger Fish are a hazard to the environment. Most are fed on Monsanto products and unless coloring is added to their food their flesh will be grey. Wild salmon are not vegetarians. Wild, line caught salmon are wonderful when they are in season especially Copper River, but the price is double what you would be paying for Frankenfish. Eat sardines instead.

Amanda Hesser September 15, 2010

Pierino, we were doing a presentation of the service to 40 tech people and that was a question from the crowd -- so you were right, essentially!