🔕 🔔

Calabrian chiles

We are in love with Calabrian chiles. Specifically, the kind that are packed in oil. Does anyone know how these chiles are processed? We're interested in trying to DIY them, but can't seem to find any information on processing techniques.

asked by petitbleu about 1 year ago

Here is my recipe:

800 gr red chillies (dark red)
25 g sea salt
250 ml olive oil
3 tablespoons strong vinegar (9 degrees)

For the following operations that handle chilies, wear gloves. Cut the stem ends of the area with the peppers, then split in half lengthwise and remove seeds and spines. Peppers can be cleaned with a knife to scrape the inside with either hand (me so I find it easiest). There will even bother to clean all seeds joyful
* If you want the paste not come out very hot, you can add 1-2 sweet peppers sliced ​​them after cleaning; I put 600 grams chili peppers and 200 grams sweet pepper this session
Sprinkle salt over pepper and mix well.
Place the peppers in a sieve, place a baking paper over and then weigh them to the press. Place the strainer over a bowl collector.
Put the bowl in the refrigerator for 3 days. At this time will gather pretty much juice on the bottom of the bowl.
Pass through the meat grinder (with the dense mesh that you have). Put the chopped peppers back in sieve and let drain 1 hour.
The resulting slurry mix with oil and vinegar.
Divide mixture into clean jars.
Place the jars in a pot (I put a towel on the bottom of the pot, to keep better jars), cover them with water and put on medium heat. When water boils, turn the heat to low and simmer 30 minutes.
Remove the jars, place them upside down and leave them for 10 minutes. Cover the jars with blankets and let it sit until the next day (until completely cool). Keep in cool place.

Could you share which varieties you are growing? (assuming you are growing your own) I have looked at some seed websites but I was unsure which ones to grow.

i buy them from local market. they are red serrano and for a great taste and color i prefer to add 1-2 Liebesapfel pepper (sweet pepper).