🔕 🔔

A question about a recipe: Fagnol's Praline Pineapple Sweet Potatoes

Dfd9412c a439 4aa7 9c93 bbbc68f235e2  image

I have a question about the recipe "Fagnol's Praline Pineapple Sweet Potatoes" from Regine. What is the best way to cook the sweet potatoes before assembling?

asked by Katherine Torski 11 months ago

5dd58b70 52d5 415a 8478 ba9053b33e62  kenzi
Kenzi Wilbur

Kenzi is the Managing Editor of Food52.

Hey Katherine! This recipe has not been cooked or edited by the Food52 staff or test kitchen, so I can't speak for it directly, but it does sound delicious. For sweet potato casseroles in general, boiling and baking both work well. Here are some guidelines from a recent article on ways to do each. To boil: peel and cut into chunks; start checking after 30 minutes to see if they’re tender. To bake: whole, peel on, pricked with a fork, oiled, wrapped in foil; 400° F for 45 minutes to an hour.

Bb305185 6b66 45c6 ac96 6204c9dd8a30  dsc09796
Sarah Jampel

Sarah is Food52's senior staff writer & stylist.

I think roasting is easiest! Wrap each potato in foil, then roast in a 300 to 350° F oven until tender (check at 40 minutes, but it could take over an hour). Like described here: https://food52.com/blog...

You could also boil them! In a pot of water until tender.

I microwave them, with great success, especially for a dish like this. Cut unpeeled sweets crosswise into 2" chunks, put a tablespoon or 2 of water in the bowl, cover loosely, cook on 80% power for about 5 minutes. Check for doneness, flip over in the bowl, microwave a few more minutes or as long as necessary until they're tender. Let cool, covered. Skins will easily peel off. Easy! ;o)

5931bcf1 b22d 41db bdb0 e856dde60d58  image

Thanks for your interest in this recipe and all the answers by Food 52er's. I boil them myself because I am usually too impatient to roast them. But roasting is certainly more hassle free. But I will next time try Anthonia's microwave technique. Thanks ladies!