A question about a recipe: General Tso's Cauliflower

Cdc8fbed 3b00 4015 875e 01c1a9410b5a  2015 1207 general tsos sauce james ransom 012

I have a question about the recipe "General Tso's Cauliflower" from Sarah Jampel. What is the purpose of the vodka? Can I substitute with something else?

asked by Claudia over 1 year ago

Sarah Jampel
Sarah Jampel

Sarah is Food52's senior staff writer & stylist.

The vodka contributes to a crisp, crunchy coating. (Read more about it here: https://food52.com/blog...) Vodka is a quite neutral spirit, though you could try bourbon or gin (though they may leave more of an aftertaste!).

Claudia

Thanks so much. Great concept. I don't suppose it matters that the vodka I have is an open bottle from decades ago. I read online that so long as there isn't an odd odor or color to it, it will only be less potent.