How to measure half an egg for a recipe

I'm making half of cake recipe, the full version of which calls for 3 eggs. What is the correct way to measure half an egg?

asked by Steven Lederman over 7 years ago

BubbaQ

A large egg is approximately 3 tablespoons: 2 tablespoons of egg whites, and 1 tablespoon of yolk. I would beat the egg in a small bowl, then measure out 1 1/2 tablespoons (1 tablespoon + 1 1/2 teaspoons). Or, you could weigh the beaten egg on a kitchen scale (zeroing out the weight of the bowl, of course!) and just use half of it by weight.

Steven Lederman

Thanks so much, BuubaQ. I'm halving the recipe to make cupcakes for my niece's birthday. She'll be very happy.

innoabrd

I wouldn't agonize. Pick your two smallest eggs and go with that!

I'd follow innoabrd, but in this way: Combine the liquid volume of egg + milk (or whatever's in the recipe), put the eggs in a measuring cup and add the other liquid ingredient to come up to 1/2 the total.

Soozll

I just use the egg yolk when I need half an egg.

rebeccatheduck

Most recipes assume that your egg weighs about 50g. Just beat the egg and take 25g.