🔕 🔔

A question about a recipe: Creamy Mushroom Soup

9733d4f8 d809 4e0c 945d c13d95e22680  2016 0218 creamy mushroom soup mark weinberg 050

I have a question about step 1 on the recipe "Creamy Mushroom Soup" from MrsWheelbarrow. It says:

"Rough chop the mushroom stems and simmer them, covered, in the chicken broth for about an hour."
would it be alright to use turkey stock-I have a lot to use leftover stock? Love all of your recipes mrswheelbarrow! msjams42

asked by bigmike1 over 6 years ago

B1ff7c6d 1bd4 41c2 a1a7 c1080efe383f  cathybarrow allrecipes e 2014
MrsWheelbarrow

Cathy is a food preserving expert and author of Mrs. Wheelbarrow's Practical Pantry: Recipes and Techniques for Year-Round Preserving.

I think turkey stock would be great! (maybe reminiscent of turkey/mushroom gravy at Thanksgiving, right?) I've made this recipe with any kind of stock I have in the house... including making a mushroom stock from the stems, water and aromatics. Enjoy!

Good homemade stock is always the best choice. Besides, most turkeys these days aren't far off in flavour from chicken! Actually, this is one of those questions that makes me want to tell the questioner: trust your instincts! Chicken broth is so dependent on how it was made and what went into it that your homemade chicken and turkey broths are likely to have more in common than, say, your chicken broth and something store bought.