did not brown bacon slices long enough

Making soup and I did not brown the bacon long enough and now i have soup with mushy bacon slices

Beth
Beth August 13, 2017

I wonder if you can strain them out, rinse off with water and try to sauté? It's worth a shot. If they are crunchy use them to garnish, if they are stiff squishy at least the flavour is in your soup already.

MMH
MMH August 13, 2017

You could brown some more to your desired texture and then use it as a garnish. You will still have the flavor from the original bacon and the crunch from the garnish. I have a clam chowder recipe that calls for browned bacon. The veggies are sautéed in the fat and the bacon goes on top of the finished product.

Voted the Best Reply!

Windischgirl
Windischgirl August 13, 2017

Pamela, the bacon slices are not going to keep their crispness because they will soak up the broth. As Beth said though, you will still get the nice bacony flavor in your soup. I think trying to re-fry the bacon will be frustrating (and messy!) because of the broth in them. I often sauté chopped bacon right in the soup pot with firm vegetables (carrots, celery, potatoes) until they soften, then add the broth to that.
If you want a crunchy garnish, best to sauté some fresh bacon.

Pamela Ooten
Pamela Ooten August 13, 2017

Thank you, as the years go by I keep on having more moments of "I have no idea what I am doing".