lupini beans

I just brought home dried lupini beans, but I'm not sure how to cook them now that they're in my apartment. There is a lot of conflicting information about how to do it (mostly involving a 3-7 day brining period after they've been cooked), and I was hoping you might have a more conclusive answer on how to manage. Thank you!

asked by Mei Chin 9 months ago

Emmie

According to WIkipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org...), lupini beans are extremely bitter unless you got a "sweet lupin" variety. If you have any other lupin, it's only edible after the soaking and rinsing period. If they aren't soaked properly, lupin bean poisoning can result! (Also, if you're allergic to peanuts, you might also be allergic to lupinis.) Basically, I'd say go along with the brining/rinsing.