and on another note, I have 5 perfectly ripe bananas on my counter...

I made banana bread last week, and I can always freeze for smoothies. The dogs love bananas too, so that's an option. I'd really like suggestions for recipes though. Send your ideas, please!

asked by Stephanie G 4 months ago

Chutney
Chips
Flavored vodka or rum

You may enjoy my Chocolately, Cocoa Muffins. The recipe is posted on my profile. They are addicting!

My 2 favorites:

chocolate banana bread (see Smitten Kitchen for recipe)
banana jam

Never eat anything banana flavored that isn't a banana- why not eat them?

Cut them into bite-sized chunks.
Freeze slightly, then dip them in melted dark chocolate, keep them plain or sprinkle with finely chopped nuts or coconut immediately. Place on parchment lined baking sheet and freeze until firm. Remove from freezer, place in ziplocked bag for a quick snack on a hot day.

Linley

Banana cake with a tangy lemon icing my kids loved when they were little..I ALWAYS freeze overripe bananas..the peel goes black in the freezer and the flesh goes yellow and mushy, runs out like a gross yellow slimy worm..but it makes the BEST cakes, keeps them so much moister

Celia Webster

In a Garten's Banana Chocolate Crumb Cake ...uses at least 3 and is my go-to cake. It won't last long!!
https://www.thekitchn.com...

liz Greene

Make one-ingredient banana "ice cream": peel, cut into chunks and freeze. then puree the frozen chunks in food processor until smooth and silky. Refreeze and use as you would use ice cream. If you want to go a step above basic, you could fold in ribbons of honey, mini chips --- chocolate, toffee, PB --, granola, or whatever you like, before refreezing.

Maria Goldie

Banana Nutella Bread! Yummy.

Esvee

This coconut banana bread is incredible: http://www.thewednesdaychef...

Ttrockwood

+1 for banana ice cream
Literally just peel, freeze in chunks and then blend with whatever other ingredients. Great with a gob of nutella swirled in, or stir in some chopped toasted walnuts, or blend together with berries.
Best eaten as soft serve right after blending, it gets really hard if you blend and freeze for later.

Also the crazy two ingredient banana pancakes that were posted here, 1 banana + 1 egg = 1 pancake. Also flexible to top with some blueberries or nuts or whatever is on hand. Extra delicious if you make in a pan with generous coconut oil!
https://food52.com/blog...

Nancy Eldridge

Chocolate Chip Banana Bars from the California Heritage Cookbook.

nancy essig

I was told it is delicious to add over ripe bananas to rhubarb jam. Who knew?

Emily

Google "six banana banana bread." (You can get buy with five.) A-maz-ing. Cook them with brown sugar, a little cream, and rum, and make bananas foster bread. (Or just screw it and make bananas foster!) Summwertime is great for banana splits. Freezing isn't just for smoothies - they're great snackls right out of the freezer. Banana cakes with cream cheese icing are fancy, banana crumb muffins are great snacks, even oatmeal cookies with banana and peanut butter (add a little bacon and chocolate if you're channeling Elvis) are good. Banana pudding takes you back to childhood.