Ideas for fresh sage?

Everyone knows about sage brown butter and sage with pork. Any other uses for an abundance of fresh sage?

asked by Tony S 5 months ago

roast chicken or turkey
roast veal
cranberry chutney
root vegetables or onion (especially leeks) pie
alternative pesto
chicken livers - sauteed or made into patee

Exbruxelles

Pesto, from Judy Rodgers' Zuni Cafe cookbook. It sounds a little off-putting and a little goes a long way, but it's excellent.

Yes! I had sage pesto with fresh pasta in Tuscany. It was wonderful.

Miss Karen

Fry it and then make a pesto from it, good for bruschetta.
Make thumbprint cookies. https://www.bhg.com/recipe/cookies/berry-sage-thumbprints/
Or a Cake...https://food52.com/recipes...
Garnish for soups/ pasta etc. https://traditionalcookingschool.com/food-preparation/fried-sage-leaves/cookbook-print/58400/

Miss Karen

This jam is gorgeous with soft cheeses like chèvre (goat cheese) and brie, and lovely with white wine or rosé. The sage offers a sophisticated base note that complements the peaches’ exceptional sweetness. Also excellent stirred into yogurt, or on toast.

WHITE PEACH & SAGE JAM.
Ingredients

2 to 3 pounds white peaches, pitted and sliced
½ cup sugar plus more to taste
1 ½ tablespoons fresh lemon juice
2 or 3 four- to five-inch-long sprigs of fresh sage, washed and dried (use more if you want a stronger sage flavor)

Instructions

Place all ingredients in a large pot and bring to a boil. Reduce to low and simmer until some of the liquid has evaporated and the syrup starts to thicken. This will happen after the concoction begins to foam. Taste and add more sugar if desired; the sweetness of peaches will vary, so I like to start with a small amount of sugar and add as needed.
Let the fruit simmer for 25 to 30 minutes, until much of it has broken down. The jam should be a lovely pink. Remove from the heat and take out as much of the sage as you like. I keep a few leaves in, but it’s entirely up to you. Transfer to airtight containers, seal, and cool. Will keep in the fridge for up to one month.

Alyssa

For one thing, I freeze fresh sage leaves in a Ziploc bag (I suck as much air out as possible and it seems to work). I also throw fresh sage leaves in with other chopped herbs (cilantro, basil, oregano, watercress, etc) to top a salad or wrap. However, my all-time favorite sage recipe (actually, maybe my favorite meal ever) is this easy-peasy no-stir risotto: https://cookieandkate.com...
It is SO so so so good.

Slice potatoes thin, as if to make chips. Use two to put a leaf of sage sandwiched between them. Spray with oil and put on a non-stick baking surface and bake.

A long time ago I made a basting brush with a bunch of fresh sage.

It was more a novelty than anything else, but it did impart some aroma to whatever it was that I was cooking (probably chicken or pork).

I've probably had about 8-10 different sorbets/ices as in-between-courses palate fresheners made from various conventional herbs (thyme, cilantro, rosemary, etc.) and at least once was sage.

I dunno, maybe you could just leave it under a car seat as an air freshener? Little mesh baggies of lavender work really well for this purpose, so maybe sage could step in?

It's probably a component of French potpourri as well.

Ttrockwood

Fried sage leaves are wonderful- they get crispy crunchy and take literally seconds to make. And of course save the extra olive oil after making them since now it’s flavored with the sage
https://www.saveur.com...

Also great incorporated into any sort of gratin dish, seems to pair well with about any kind of dairy