A question about a recipe: Port Wine & Cheese Spread

I have a question about the recipe "Port Wine & Cheese Spread" from Grant Melton. Which type of port is best suited for this recipe?

• Posted by: Sauertea
  • December 19, 2018
1416c69c 3c0c 455e b4c1 ec55ec470899  2018 1102 port wine cheese dip 3x2 julia gartland 062
Recipe question for: Port Wine & Cheese Spread

Pegeen December 20, 2018

Hiya. Since you're only using 1/3 cup of port for the recipe as written, a typical white port, inexpensive, is fine. But if you're interested in also investing in a bottle to enjoy for after-dinner sipping in your great-grandmother's port glasses that could use a dusting off, you will want to do some homework online or talk to your local spirits store about tawny, rose and ruby ports which are the key grape/flavor profiles. Like wine or scotch, there are plenty of options from low to high in price point. But for this recipe, a small bottle of an inexpensive white port is just fine.

I love port wine cheese spread. Before the guests eat all of it, set some aside to use as a spread on the leftover ham sandwiches for the day after Christmas. With some fruity chutney swiped on the other piece of bread. omg.

Miss Karen
Miss Karen December 20, 2018

Just a quick note:
Tawny ports have a more nutty taste & Ruby ports are more fruity...