🔕 🔔

How do you make Caesar dressing?

asked by @amandahesser about 7 years ago

39bc764f 7859 45d4 9e95 fc5774280613  headshot 2.0 crop

A traditional Caesar salad involves garlic, anchovy, raw egg, olive oil, Worcestershire, lemon and parmesan (mixed and dressed tableside!). It was invented by Caesar Cardini, but Julia Child was a disciple -- here's her version: http://bit.ly/d16cRS

Amanda already knows the story behind this, Caesar Cardini in Tijuana and blah, blah, blah. What drives me nuts are the eggless, anchovy deprived "caesars" of say, chain restaurants. If you are raw egg-phobic then source out pastuerised eggs. After that, grow up! The original was completely improvised (like Buffalo wings). Chop some garlic, chop up some really good anchovies, beat together with one or two eggs, drizzle in some olive oil and whisk away. Tear up some romaine lettuce. Finish with worcestershire sauce---just a few drops (if you want to go off the reservation try Tabasco). Shave some parmigiano over everything.

Fff96a46 7810 4f5c a452 83604ac1e363  dsc03010

I cheat. I start with a jar of mayo, which solves the problem of how to perfectly coddle eggs, and a tube of anchovy paste, which solves the problem of how to store the unused anchovies in a tin. In the margin of my falling-apart notebook, I wrote "Gourmet" above this recipe, so I think I copied it from that magazine.

In a medium bowl, whisk together 1 clove minced garlic, 1 teaspoon anchovy paste, 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard, 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce, 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano and 1 cup good mayonnaise. Taste and add up to 1/4 teaspoon salt if needed. If you think it's too thick, add a splash of milk to thin it.

I've made smittenkitchen's caesar dressing a couple of time when I've had a jar of anchovies on hand. This is how Deb prefaces her recipe: "Because I created this for me, me, me, my Caesar salad dressing is raw egg and anchovy optional, and I swear you won’t miss them. But if this offends the Caesar purist in you, I’ve given options for both. Now can’t we all get along?"

Go here for the recipe:
http://smittenkitchen.com...

E7b6597b db6e 4cae b9f3 699b508f4ed3  036

My grandparents met in Mexico and lived in Laguna Beach for most of their lives ... they used to drive across the border to Tijuana all of the time and they would often have the original ceasar salad at the original hotel that served them, probably knew Cardini too though I can't confirm that. has nothing to do with the question really - just a cool tidbit!!!