🔕 🔔

What's the difference between hulled and pearled grains

Francesca is the former Assistant Editor of food52 and believes you can make anything out of farro.

39bc764f 7859 45d4 9e95 fc5774280613  headshot 2.0 crop

Hulled grains just have the outermost hull removed, while pearled ones have the next layer down, the bran, scrubbed off as well. This means that hulled grains are more nutritious and "whole" and take more time to cook than pearled.

I made a barley dish just last week (it was a Barley Risotto from Amanda's NYT Cookbook) and was confronted with the same choice. I used hulled barley for the nutritional content, and it turned out great.

Ece90812 0903 49a8 8e35 aa86c774be22  dsc00202
francesca gilberti

Thanks, kristen! You're clearly a grain expert :)

No problem! And if having approximately a metric ton of grains hanging around my kitchen makes me an expert, then I guess I might be one! (I think it takes a bit more than that though.)