If I use Lyle's golden syrup in a pie instead of light corn syrup, will it affect the taste much? I need the syrup to achieve a certain consistency. Molasses would be too strong a flavor for this. Thank you. ;o)

asked about 8 years ago

betteirene

It's a very acceptable substitute for both taste and texture. Are we making treacle tarts?

Christina Ward

This is fun. Let's guess what you're making! Um, are you making a Pecan Pie?

PrairieGal

I think the Lyle's will perform nearly the same as the corn syrup, but it will add a slightly buttery, toasty flavor to whatever you're making. IMHO, that's a good thing!

No, not treacle tarts, no, not a pecan pie. Something entirely different that I'm working on, based on a recipe clipped about (oh, can it really have been?) thirty years ago. I hope to post the recipe sometime next week, depending on the availability of a certain key ingredient at the farmers' market this weekend. Stay tuned . . . . . ;o)

Bevi

Antonia, my only experience with Lyle's is when making a pecan pie, but honestly, I could drink that stuff right out of the bottle!

ButterYum

I substitute Lyle's Golden Syrup any time a recipe calls for honey or corn syrup, like when I made these Vanilla Nut Bars. The flavor is superb - very butter and caramel-like. Just like Bevi - I could drink the stuff right out of the bottle too.

Yes, AntoniaJames, forge ahead and use the Lyle's. You'll love the flavor, and though you're being a bit mysterious about the end product, if it's a baked good, be sure to include the appropriate measure of baking soda.