🔕 🔔

If I use Lyle's golden syrup in a pie instead of light corn syrup, will it affect the taste much? I need the syrup to achieve a certain consistency. Molasses would be too strong a flavor for this. Thank you. ;o)

asked about 7 years ago

Fff96a46 7810 4f5c a452 83604ac1e363  dsc03010

It's a very acceptable substitute for both taste and texture. Are we making treacle tarts?

C7510721 e177 481e 8125 7c4d04f5c4e8  canposter

This is fun. Let's guess what you're making! Um, are you making a Pecan Pie?

1d37f32a d35c 45ef b518 a19cc540e394  stringio

I think the Lyle's will perform nearly the same as the corn syrup, but it will add a slightly buttery, toasty flavor to whatever you're making. IMHO, that's a good thing!

No, not treacle tarts, no, not a pecan pie. Something entirely different that I'm working on, based on a recipe clipped about (oh, can it really have been?) thirty years ago. I hope to post the recipe sometime next week, depending on the availability of a certain key ingredient at the farmers' market this weekend. Stay tuned . . . . . ;o)

Bb911bcd 2446 4d8f 848f cdc2090e999a  leaf cake

Antonia, my only experience with Lyle's is when making a pecan pie, but honestly, I could drink that stuff right out of the bottle!

427367ec a273 4227 8013 29d6c5f31a00  button butteryumcopy

I substitute Lyle's Golden Syrup any time a recipe calls for honey or corn syrup, like when I made these Vanilla Nut Bars. The flavor is superb - very butter and caramel-like. Just like Bevi - I could drink the stuff right out of the bottle too.

F73dd22c cb17 4890 901c 8c1eec6a1bf8  p1210346 medium

Yes, AntoniaJames, forge ahead and use the Lyle's. You'll love the flavor, and though you're being a bit mysterious about the end product, if it's a baked good, be sure to include the appropriate measure of baking soda.