If I use Lyle's golden syrup in a pie instead of light corn syrup, will it affect the taste much? I need the syrup to achieve a certain consistency. Molasses would be too strong a flavor for this. Thank you. ;o)

betteirene
betteirene October 7, 2010

It's a very acceptable substitute for both taste and texture. Are we making treacle tarts?

Christina Ward
Christina Ward October 7, 2010

This is fun. Let's guess what you're making! Um, are you making a Pecan Pie?

PrairieGal
PrairieGal October 7, 2010

I think the Lyle's will perform nearly the same as the corn syrup, but it will add a slightly buttery, toasty flavor to whatever you're making. IMHO, that's a good thing!

AntoniaJames October 7, 2010

No, not treacle tarts, no, not a pecan pie. Something entirely different that I'm working on, based on a recipe clipped about (oh, can it really have been?) thirty years ago. I hope to post the recipe sometime next week, depending on the availability of a certain key ingredient at the farmers' market this weekend. Stay tuned . . . . . ;o)

Bevi
Bevi October 8, 2010

Antonia, my only experience with Lyle's is when making a pecan pie, but honestly, I could drink that stuff right out of the bottle!

ButterYum
ButterYum August 12, 2011

I substitute Lyle's Golden Syrup any time a recipe calls for honey or corn syrup, like when I made these Vanilla Nut Bars. The flavor is superb - very butter and caramel-like. Just like Bevi - I could drink the stuff right out of the bottle too.

boulangere August 13, 2011

Yes, AntoniaJames, forge ahead and use the Lyle's. You'll love the flavor, and though you're being a bit mysterious about the end product, if it's a baked good, be sure to include the appropriate measure of baking soda.