A question about a recipe: Flank Steak on Texas Toast with Chimichurri

5987c91f 8889 4a93 b522 e1468675aa40  food52 07 25 11 220

I have a question about step 4 on the recipe "Flank Steak on Texas Toast with Chimichurri" from sdebrango. It says:

"When steak has rested, slice thinly, cutting across the grain. To put your sandwich together, spread the chimichurri mayonnaise on each side of bread, lay meat on bread, then add the tomato, put the other slice of bread on top and enjoy."

Is "cutting across the grain" as stated the same as cutting against the grain? I always cut against the grain on the diagonal for flank to ensure a tender bite. I plan on making this tonight and just want to make sure how it should be done. Thank you!

Yes, The opposite would be cutting "with" or "along" the grain.

Thank you Greenstuff! Yes thats absolutely correct.

okay, I'll slice across the grain. I was told NEVER to do it, but I will. Thanks ladies. Why is this slicing technique differnt from other flank steaks that state cut against vs. across? Curious...

Woah, let's make it really clear. We told you to do what you always do, not something you would have been told not to do!

With a flank steak, you want to cut across the grain to cut the tough fibers. across=against and with=along

LOL! Sorry! Greenstuff thanks! Guess, I need a cup of coffee!