🔕 🔔

A question about a recipe: Boozy Sour Cherries

75b71360 77e7 4d24 95e4 aff2ae943440  062811f 411

I have a question about the recipe "Boozy Sour Cherries" from merrill. I've got about 10 lbs of sour cherries and would love to make this but have a few questions. 1) I'm far from any place that sells Luxardo and cherry brandy is likely out of the question too, what other liquor/spirits might work? 2) Can I process these in a regular water bath and for how long?

asked by Midge about 6 years ago

96a14a05 15da 42e2 8a19 f23e01dc2bbc  5254970837 532a2f2e67

I have not made this recipe, but I've done something similar with sour cherries. I used a decent mid-priced brandy (I just looked it up and I used Paul Masson Grande Amber VSOP, less than $20). I adapted Melissa Clark's recipe for brandied cherries and thought the cherries were beyond delicious, alone, in manhattans, and atop ice cream. My proportions were roughly 1 pint cherries, 1/2 cup sugar, 1/2 cup brandy, and I topped off the jars with extra brandy at the end as well.

I can't help with the water bath question but can say that our cherries lasted much longer than 2 weeks in the refrigerator. Like, 6 weeks!

7b500f1f 3219 4d49 8161 e2fc340b2798  flower bee

My grandma used to make this with grappa. As far as the water bath, I don't think you are supposed to process this type of "fruit liqueurs/ liqueur fruits"- they keep on their own for several months.

0dcfb05c 8a90 480f 8cf7 cbc33e9a6b5c  me

Kirsh (or kirshwasser) would work; what I like about it is it is available in small bottles so you don't have to spend a fortune!

1097a5b5 1775 4eec a8ea 7421137b65dc  image 2 apples claire sullivan 2

Yes, Kirsch is classic with cherries - in fact, it's made from them, so it has a slight cherry flavor, but isn't sweet. It also tastes vaguely like almonds, I think from the cherry pits. My Hungarian grandmother was big on sour cherries, and always kept a bottle of kirsch around. In my mind, they're forever associated with each other.

Fbc31129 dd77 4f50 92da 5ddc4a29c892  summer 2010 1048

Thanks so much everyone. I was able to track some kirschwasser after all.