Rice flour substitution

3112d49e 2bb1 4f08 a329 16cf78ad0391  062111 255

When baking, I often substitute whole wheat flour for A/P or do half and half. I'm new to using rice flour. Does it work to substitute brown rice flour for the white kind?

asked by AEC about 7 years ago

wssmom

I have successfully exchanged white rice flour for brown rice flour and vice versa; this would probably not work if using "sweet" rice flour, however.

beyondcelery

In my experience, all rice flours are interchangeable except for sweet rice flour--wssmom is correct. Sweet rice flour is made from sweet rice, a very short grain, very sticky rice. Its flour become gooey and rather elastic when wet. It's what gives mochi their characteristic chewiness. In gluten-free baking, I use sweet rice flour alongside other gluten-free flours to simulate the elasticity of gluten and produce baked goods that taste "normal." When following a gluten-free recipe, it's important to use sweet rice flour as directed. However, other gluten-free flours can usually be substituted for each other: brown rice, white rice, amaranth, millet, quinoa, buckwheat, etc.

AEC
AEC

Thanks to you both for responding!