🔕 🔔

Rice flour substitution

3112d49e 2bb1 4f08 a329 16cf78ad0391  062111 255

When baking, I often substitute whole wheat flour for A/P or do half and half. I'm new to using rice flour. Does it work to substitute brown rice flour for the white kind?

asked by AEC about 6 years ago

0dcfb05c 8a90 480f 8cf7 cbc33e9a6b5c  me

I have successfully exchanged white rice flour for brown rice flour and vice versa; this would probably not work if using "sweet" rice flour, however.

766e7ce3 8394 4788 8337 bbd8a8d3a07e  5.15.11 coconut macaroons best sm

In my experience, all rice flours are interchangeable except for sweet rice flour--wssmom is correct. Sweet rice flour is made from sweet rice, a very short grain, very sticky rice. Its flour become gooey and rather elastic when wet. It's what gives mochi their characteristic chewiness. In gluten-free baking, I use sweet rice flour alongside other gluten-free flours to simulate the elasticity of gluten and produce baked goods that taste "normal." When following a gluten-free recipe, it's important to use sweet rice flour as directed. However, other gluten-free flours can usually be substituted for each other: brown rice, white rice, amaranth, millet, quinoa, buckwheat, etc.

AEC

Thanks to you both for responding!