Dinner Help - Hamburger Helper type dish from scratch

I have 1.1 lbs of grass-fed ground prime sirlion beef and a bag of medium egg noodles. I would like to create a goulosh of sorts; similiar to hamburger-typep helper. Comforting, unpretentious dish for tonight. I have sour cream, cream, 1/2 & 1/2, butter, hungarian paprika. Any ideas? No mushrooms, but have farm stand red peppers. Thanks!

asked about 7 years ago

wssmom

LOL this reminds me of a recipe my mother used to call Skid Row Stroganoff, which I believe came via Peg Bracken. My mom would brown the beef (one pounds) with a big onion, sliced, and garlic, drain off some of the fat, then stir in a tablespoon of flour, and a teaspoon or so of paprika and let it simmer for five minutes. Then she would add a half-cup of cream sauce (you could use the half and half or heavy cream) and a cup of sour cream and heat it through on low so the sour cream wouldn't separate and serve it over egg noodles. I hated mushrooms when I was a kid so she never used them, but I bet if you sauteed some of the red bell peppers with the onions, etc. it would taste great!

wssmom: that sounds just about like what I was going to suggest. My mom did this more often with stew meat, but it's all good.

wssmom, that sounds wonderful! It reminds me of a variation I made when the kids were young, only I added some tomatoes and cheese.

wssmom

We in the Way-Back Machine here!!

Welcome aboard!

wssmom, ty for so much. It's made and it's great. I used shallots instead of onions and wondra for the flour. Sauteed the red pepper thin slices in the fat and garlic and they arecrisp tender (more tender) The sour cream rocked and added some butter to those egg noodles. I was craving an old didh Mom made and look forward to watching the Yankees tonight while enjoying. If I really wanted to go old school I could make iceberg lettuce with 1,000 Island dressing & jello with banana slices. Thanks ladies for help!

wssmom

LOL you are so welcome! Go Yankees!

Sounds like a heavenly evening. Wish we were there.