A question about a recipe: Blondies -- Gluten-Free and Completely Delicious - urgent!

Making these right now, and realized I'm low on almond flour, so used 1/2 cup less almond flour, and 1/2 cup more cocnut flour than recipe calls for. Of course, batter is now considerably stiffer than usual. Should I add some liquid/additional egg to loosen it before baking? Thanks!

• Posted by: Fifer
  • October 8, 2011

SKK October 8, 2011

Syronai who is expert in non-gluten gave me this piece of information awhile ago -
" Add it to baked goods in small quantities (1/4 cup or less) for some additional fiber and flavor. Something to keep in mind is that coconut flour absorbs moisture at a phenomenal rate, so using even a small amount in baking usually means you'll need to increase your liquid slightly. It depends on the recipe, so add it first, take a look at the consistency, and add more liquid as seems needed.

You can also use coconut flour as a base for breads (it's great for gluten-free baking). For this, you'll want to do some research. This site's recipes are pretty standard:
http://www.tiana-coconut.com/coconut_flour_recipes.htm
When coconut flour is used as the main flour in a bread, you MUST increase the number of eggs in the recipe (usually double) or it won't turn out right at all. When I make muffins from coconut flour and potato flour, I use 3 eggs in the recipe for 12 muffins. Coconut flour will make your baked goods more dense and the bread isn't like a "normal" bread, but it's delicious in its own way.

You can also use it in breading; because it's good at absorbing moisture, using coconut flour for dredging meat before dipping in egg and batter works quite well. Good luck! It's a really fun flour, but it does take some practice to use well, so don't get discouraged if a first try ends up rather wonky.

SKK October 8, 2011

To continue - yes, add more moisture.

nishis
nishis October 8, 2011

Yes coconut flour is like a sponge. I would up the butter or even add mashed fruit (banana or applesauce) if you have any.

Fifer
Fifer October 8, 2011

Thanks you so much SKK & nishis for taking the time to respond. In the end, I added an extra egg, and pulled them from the oven earlier than I usually do. They look fine, but I imagine the real test will be when they are cooled & I attempt to slice 'em! However, since your recipe is so wonderful, nishis, I know they will still taste divine, even if they look less than perfect this time. :-) They are always a huge hit in our house, with the celiac, and everyone else!