A question about a recipe: Lacto-Fermented Sauerkraut

B0ed348f c783 454b 91ce 28a4a7627ad0  saurkraut

Can anything be done about lacto-fermented sauerkraut that ends up tasting much too salty? I must not have been paying close enough attention when measuring the salt. (I did use Diamond, by the way.) It's been 12 days since I started this batch. Is there some way to save this? I'm considering just using it in small quantities in soups, etc. that I don't otherwise season, but I'd really like not to have to limit this batch to that use. Help!!! Thanks, everyone. ;o)

MrsWheelbarrow
MrsWheelbarrow

Cathy is a food preserving expert and author of Mrs. Wheelbarrow's Practical Pantry: Recipes and Techniques for Year-Round Preserving.

Try rinsing your sauerkraut really well, even try soaking it, in very cold water. That should rinse most of the salt off of the kraut, but may also water down the flavor.

thirschfeld

Rinse it. I always rinse kraut.

Helen's All Night Diner

Yes, rinse! You could always try the potato trick, too. Cook with a peeled potato which will absorb some of the salt....