A question about a recipe: Cider Brined Pork with Calvados, Mustard and Thyme

01da4fea ca10 4586 9ad5 fc162d69f2b6  112309f 684

I have a question about step 4 on the recipe "Cider Brined Pork with Calvados, Mustard and Thyme" from Oui, Chef.

What can you sub for calvados? Red wine? Bourbon? Obviously these are different, but they're what I have on hand generally...

It says:

"Pour off excess oil, and deglaze the pan with the calvados over medium heat , scraping the bottom of the pan well, letting the brandy reduce to a glaze. Add 2 tablespoons butter to the skillet over medium heat and add the shallots and thyme, and sauté 2 minutes. Stir in cream and cider; boil until mixture thickens to sauce consistency, about 3 minutes. Stir in mustard, season with salt and pepper, remove from heat and serve with the pork.
"

asked by erinrae over 6 years ago

lorigoldsby

The calvados is going to have a fruity/brandy finish...if you are trying to avoid the alcohol, try apple cider.

Oui, Chef

Calvados is ideal because it is distilled from apple cider, but you could easily use a cognac or brandy which are both distilled from grapes as they have a similar fruit driven sweetness to them.

I used Clear Creek Apple Brandy, which does not have the rather musty notes you find in many a French Calvados. It was fantastic! I actually think though that a touch of bourbon added with some reduced (1 cup down to 1/4 cup) natural, unpasteurized apple cider would be nice in this recipe. In fact, I plan to do it that way, just for fun, the next time I make these (which I hope will be soon!!) ;o)