A question about a recipe: Cider Brined Pork with Calvados, Mustard and Thyme

I have a question about step 4 on the recipe "Cider Brined Pork with Calvados, Mustard and Thyme" from Oui, Chef.

What can you sub for calvados? Red wine? Bourbon? Obviously these are different, but they're what I have on hand generally...

It says:

"Pour off excess oil, and deglaze the pan with the calvados over medium heat , scraping the bottom of the pan well, letting the brandy reduce to a glaze. Add 2 tablespoons butter to the skillet over medium heat and add the shallots and thyme, and sauté 2 minutes. Stir in cream and cider; boil until mixture thickens to sauce consistency, about 3 minutes. Stir in mustard, season with salt and pepper, remove from heat and serve with the pork.
"

• Posted by: erinrae
  • November 2, 2011

lorigoldsby
lorigoldsby November 2, 2011

The calvados is going to have a fruity/brandy finish...if you are trying to avoid the alcohol, try apple cider.

Oui, Chef
Oui, Chef November 3, 2011

Calvados is ideal because it is distilled from apple cider, but you could easily use a cognac or brandy which are both distilled from grapes as they have a similar fruit driven sweetness to them.

AntoniaJames November 4, 2011

I used Clear Creek Apple Brandy, which does not have the rather musty notes you find in many a French Calvados. It was fantastic! I actually think though that a touch of bourbon added with some reduced (1 cup down to 1/4 cup) natural, unpasteurized apple cider would be nice in this recipe. In fact, I plan to do it that way, just for fun, the next time I make these (which I hope will be soon!!) ;o)