🔕 🔔

A question about a recipe: Cider Brined Pork with Calvados, Mustard and Thyme

01da4fea ca10 4586 9ad5 fc162d69f2b6  112309f 684

I have a question about step 4 on the recipe "Cider Brined Pork with Calvados, Mustard and Thyme" from Oui, Chef.

What can you sub for calvados? Red wine? Bourbon? Obviously these are different, but they're what I have on hand generally...

It says:

"Pour off excess oil, and deglaze the pan with the calvados over medium heat , scraping the bottom of the pan well, letting the brandy reduce to a glaze. Add 2 tablespoons butter to the skillet over medium heat and add the shallots and thyme, and sauté 2 minutes. Stir in cream and cider; boil until mixture thickens to sauce consistency, about 3 minutes. Stir in mustard, season with salt and pepper, remove from heat and serve with the pork.
"

asked by erinrae almost 6 years ago

32fb3935 151a 4db2 ac26 980d4c0d5cea  lorigoldsby

The calvados is going to have a fruity/brandy finish...if you are trying to avoid the alcohol, try apple cider.

7de1be53 97f2 4599 9d8c 718bbeec2110  steve dunn02

Calvados is ideal because it is distilled from apple cider, but you could easily use a cognac or brandy which are both distilled from grapes as they have a similar fruit driven sweetness to them.

I used Clear Creek Apple Brandy, which does not have the rather musty notes you find in many a French Calvados. It was fantastic! I actually think though that a touch of bourbon added with some reduced (1 cup down to 1/4 cup) natural, unpasteurized apple cider would be nice in this recipe. In fact, I plan to do it that way, just for fun, the next time I make these (which I hope will be soon!!) ;o)