If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
There are so many great conversations on the Hotline -- it's hard to choose a favorite. But we'll be doing it, once a week, to spread the wealth of our community's knowledge -- and to keep the conversation going.
Last week we all learned strategies for creating firmer fruit fillings, and this week we’ve still got pie on our brains -- and in our bellies (join us, you should have pie for breakfast too). Farmers markets are overflowing with berries and stone fruits just begging to be turned into pies. But what's the best way to take a fruit pie beyond the basic? Here are our favorite ideas from the thread so far:
- Giving your blueberries a boost with mint, lemon or lime zest, allspice, ginger, or rosemary.
- Livening up strawberries with habanero peppers, balsamic vinegar, or basil.
- Adding kirsch and/or crème de noyaux, orange or lime zest, or almond extract to cherries.
- Pairing peaches with mace, allspice, habanero peppers, an almond or pecan crust or topping, or a mix of cinnamon, nutmeg and a hint of cloves.
- Remembering the importance of starting with fresh flavorful fruits, from petitbleu and jamcook.
What are your best tips for flavorful fruit fillings? Add your two cents to the question on the Hotline here or continue the conversation in the comments below!