Today: More reasons to make an entire batch of cupcakes.
Shop the Story
Here are five reasons to keep emergency cake in your freezer. Because you will, at some point, find yourself needing cake at an hour where cake is not readily available to you. Such as:
1. The night you end up lying awake on the couch at 3 AM, because both your kids decided climb your bed at 2:45 AM, which is a result of how, at 7:30 PM, their father in his infinite wisdom thought they were old enough to watch Garfield’s Halloween, and now they’re both terrified of “pirate ghosts.”
2. The night where you’re up watching old episodes of Roseanne, get blindsided by one of those awful Sarah MacLaughlin commercials, and can’t find the remote in time to change it.
3. Or you’re watching a Scrubs marathon and that episode where Ben is actually dead the entire time comes on, but you don’t change it because goddamn it Dr. Cox is just so amazing.
4. When it’s well past midnight and you’re glued to your laptop, still working, and you poke over to Facebook to see one of your high school friends has posted gorgeous pics of their gorgeous children, dressed, of course, in designer clothes, running around the manicured lawn of their gorgeous three-bedroom house. And you just sit there in the darkness, clicking between that screen and the one containing dozens of unanswered work emails, the ones that will multiply to hundreds by the next morning, looking around your tiny apartment, and wondering exactly what the hell you’re doing wrong with your life.
5. If you’re a lady, every 28 days. If you’re a married to a lady, every 28 days, plus the five days before, and the five days after. (And we’re sorry.)
Photos by Eric Isaac
A New Way to Dinner, co-authored by Food52's founders Amanda Hesser and Merrill Stubbs, is an indispensable playbook for stress-free meal-planning (hint: cook foundational dishes on the weekend and mix and match ‘em through the week).
Allison Robicelli is a cookbook author, humorist, host of the Robicelli Argument Clinic Podcast, occasional TV personality, restauranteur (Oaxaca Taqueria & Rip's Malt Shop in NYC), wife, mother, and all around good time.