What is the best way to cook filet mignon?

If I cook in a pan, I never cook all the way through, although I sear the outsides well. If I put in the oven, I always overcook.

Any ideas!?

asked by Emma Tangoren almost 4 years ago

Jennifer Elmslie

I heavily salt and pepper it, the sear fo3 minutes it in a super hot oiled cast iron pan, then turn it over ad put it in the over for about 6 minutes at 425 degrees. Take it out of the pan and let it rest for 5 minutes then enjoy! If you would like a pan sauce with that, after you remove the filets, put the pan back on the burner at medium heat, saute a minced shallot for minute, add 2 tablespoons of balsamic vinegar, let reduce briefy, then add 1cup of beef stock, let reduce for a couple on minutes and then swirl in a tablespoon or so of unsalted butter. Pour over filet and serve. Awesome!

Meaghan F

I do almost the exact same thing, but I preheat the oven then turn it off when I put the pan in - maybe that helps avoid overcooking the meat?

Emma Tangoren

Wow, thanks so much! This was really helpful.

How do you like your filet? Rare, medium rare, medium, or well done? I prefer med rare, so cook the filet to 145F internal temp, then let it rest for 5 mins. Get a good reliable meat thermometer and there will be no guessing whether about how cooked your meat is, regardless of how you cook it.

You can do a hybrid of the two methods: sear on the stovetop & finish cooking in the oven. Have that meat thermometer ready and remember to let your meat rest a good 5-10 minutes before you eat it.

Emma Tangoren

Thanks HalfPint! I will aim for 145F internal :)

I think HalfPint has it right - I think searing on the stovetop, then finishing in the oven works best. Sounds like the oven part is maybe quicker than you've been doing - so use that thermometer and let it rest and it's pretty foolproof.

The $1.89 Lunch Our Editor-in-Chief Swears By

Chickpeas to the Rescue

Curried Chickpea Sandwich

You can count the ingredients on one hand.

Simplest Homemade Doughnuts

Meatballs lend comfort on one family's journey from Mexico.

My Family Recipe: Mexican Meatballs

What's New in the Neighborhood

From weeknight favorites to regional classics.

12 Essential Italian Cookbooks