The exclusive Italian nonstick from Ballarini the pros swear by. Shop now »
🔕 🔔

What is the best way to cook filet mignon?

If I cook in a pan, I never cook all the way through, although I sear the outsides well. If I put in the oven, I always overcook.

Any ideas!?

asked by Emma Tangoren over 2 years ago

I heavily salt and pepper it, the sear fo3 minutes it in a super hot oiled cast iron pan, then turn it over ad put it in the over for about 6 minutes at 425 degrees. Take it out of the pan and let it rest for 5 minutes then enjoy! If you would like a pan sauce with that, after you remove the filets, put the pan back on the burner at medium heat, saute a minced shallot for minute, add 2 tablespoons of balsamic vinegar, let reduce briefy, then add 1cup of beef stock, let reduce for a couple on minutes and then swirl in a tablespoon or so of unsalted butter. Pour over filet and serve. Awesome!

84e04bee 8fc8 4bdc 8199 701c1af83294  image

I do almost the exact same thing, but I preheat the oven then turn it off when I put the pan in - maybe that helps avoid overcooking the meat?

D5415278 749b 4f11 ac12 b58c29ac53ac  stringio

Wow, thanks so much! This was really helpful.

How do you like your filet? Rare, medium rare, medium, or well done? I prefer med rare, so cook the filet to 145F internal temp, then let it rest for 5 mins. Get a good reliable meat thermometer and there will be no guessing whether about how cooked your meat is, regardless of how you cook it.

You can do a hybrid of the two methods: sear on the stovetop & finish cooking in the oven. Have that meat thermometer ready and remember to let your meat rest a good 5-10 minutes before you eat it.

Thanks HalfPint! I will aim for 145F internal :)

1097a5b5 1775 4eec a8ea 7421137b65dc  image 2 apples claire sullivan 2

I think HalfPint has it right - I think searing on the stovetop, then finishing in the oven works best. Sounds like the oven part is maybe quicker than you've been doing - so use that thermometer and let it rest and it's pretty foolproof.