They've got lots of appeal.
A quick survey: Do you have a bunch of bananas going soft on your countertop? Are you starting to get tired of banana bread? If you answered yes to either of these questions, you're in the same boat as the rest of us (pun intended). We asked our Hotline: How do you use up a spare banana? Here's what they said:
- Okay, okay—Mr. Rogers, legend of American television, isn't part of the Food52 community. But he ate his bananas wrapped in a piece of American cheese! Let us know if you try it.
- Add cut-up bananas to salads—fruity and leafy alike. Both scruz and PieceOfLayerCake add bananas to dinner salads; the latter says that avocado and banana are a winning pair in salads.
- Hardlikearmour recommends this baked sweet potato-and-banana casserole.
- And Bevi likes to make a sweet banana-coconut raita.
- If she's making a curry—especially one with coconut milk—amysarah will add a chopped banana, which adds a subtle sweetness and helps thicken the curry. Nancy will serve chopped banana alongside a curry or rijsttafel (an Indonesian-West Indian-Dutch rice meal).
- HalfPint eats them in bacon sandwiches, Elvis-style.
- Pour cream and sprinkle brown sugar over sliced bananas, like Posie Harwood does.
- Or purée them in a mean daiquiri.
What do you do with extra bananas? Tell us in the comments!
Photo by Bobbi Lin